November 16, 2010

"The Cinema We Built Was to Play the Greats"


Beware: This man will make you swoon!

One of the most talented and riveting individuals I've come across on the inter-webs has to be the brilliant Derrick Brown. His shows consist of cleverly merging music, poetry, and comedy into one highly entertaining and charming act that would even impress those most opposed to the thought of poetry. The video above of "The Kurosawa Champagne" is perhaps my favorite of his works because of how deliberate his tangled words are in conveying an exhibition of emotions through powerfully sincere, imaginative metaphors. Plus, it's a love poem that isn't cheesy and boringly typical, just beautiful! 

My favorite lines:

 ‘Dear, in the morning let me put on your make-up for you.
I’ll be loading your gems with mascara
then I’ll tell you the truth…’

I watched black ropes and tears ramble down your face.

Lady war paint.

A squad of tiny men repelled down those snaking lines
And you say,
"Thank you for releasing all those fuckers from my life"

and

Your boots are a soundtrack to adultery.
Thank God your feet fall in the rhythm of loyalty.

(GENIUS)

With quite the cult following, Brown travels all around the country, as well as Europe, dazzling audiences with his unique act and has also toured with an impressive loot of musicians like Cold Ward Kids and The Decemberists. Hailed as one of America's top 5 poets, the man is of course published and started his own press called Write Bloody Publishing. I highly recommend watching ALL of his videos-he even has a ridiculous video of when he was on some low-budget dating show.

No comments: