January 14, 2011

"You'd got a mouth all full of stars"-Cotton Jones

This track is perfect for laying in bed all day with the one you love. The 50s/60s instrumentation and dark lyrics greatly remind me of Jesus and Mary Chain and The Velvet Underground.

I so badly want to slow dance to "Blood Red Sentimental Blues" and pretty much anything else that has a soothing twain to it. If you are unfamiliar with the music of Cotton Jones, then I suggest you acquaint yourself with this Maryland band because their melodies are quite beautiful.


Grizzly Bear's music always has interesting melody changes that are at first a bit jarring, but at the same time make complete sense. All in all a very innovative band with gorgeous harmonizing vocals. And every single one of their music videos are worth watching more than once.

In the man-dominated music world of the 70s, sister duo, Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, were quite the inspirational trailblazers for every woman in rock that proceeded them. The first time I ever heard "Magic Man" was while watching Sofia Coppola's film adaptation of The Virgin Suicides. The wailing guitars in the intro hypnotized me instantly!

The Killers cover of Joy Division's "Shadowplay" is so good that I think I even like it better than the original-I blame the cover's more dance friendly beat for this preference.

Lately, when I'm in a blues rock mood I look no further than The Black Keys. I commend them for bringing back this classic sound along with it's hazy production value and singing-through-a-fan quality. You'd never guess that only two scrawny white dudes make up this band.

I am eagerly awaiting the new album from Austin based band, Explosions in the Sky. I've never been a huge fan of strictly instrumental music (I love lyrics), but these guys know how to move you without words using their intricate post-rock sound.


Back in my high school days I was quite the little metal head, which meant I listened to SLAYER...a lot, and still do when I feel the need to wile out and head-bang. Plus their melodies change so seamlessly back and forth and who can resist the guitar, THE GUITAR?!      

No comments: